About 2 years ago I decided to build Lily a doll house. However, seeing as how I had no previous woodworking experience, what I really meant by that was that Jake and I would build it. (AKA I would draw the plans and Jake would build it.) But since that didn't fit in to the thousand and one things he does in a day, I finally committed myself to doing it alone. And besides, I may not have a lot of experience, but I've watched Jake work with wood for a long time. Plus we used to watch Norm Abram on PBS a lot. And before that I used to go to the hardware store occasionally with my dad.
I'm good to work with power tools, right??
(BTW this line of reasoning works with anything. I'm watching a lot of House right now so if you've got an ailment come to me and I'll diagnose it. It's Lupus)
So without further adue...Lily's doll house so far...
The front will slide off and on when it's done, and the roof (which is leaning non-chalantly over there in the corner) will be on a hinge for attic access.
This has been so delightfully easy to build, thanks to a great set of easy plans from the library. This is only day 2...I brought a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood home yesterday, and I've done the whole thing by myself! Go me:)
However, this is what my workroom looks like. Covered in the carnage of the skirt I was making that I took apart because the seams weren't matching up. I haven't come back to it, and probably won't until I run into a problem with the house.
I guess we can't be everywhere.
Oh ya...the reason this is a secret is because it's for Lily's birthday. She's been watching me make it so far, but I'm not going to let her see me finish or paint/wallpaper/furnish it. Let's hope we can get all that done by July.
Building a house always takes longer than they say.
5 comments:
Rock on! It looks great.
Wow, Amazing woman! when do I put my order in for Lucy's?
So totally awesome! My Dad made one like that when we were kids. My Mom was a wallpapering nut at the time so every room was wallpapered. There was green shag carpet in the rooms! Seriously, it looks great! (I'm glad I'm not the only one who abandons projects when they get dicey. They work out better when I come back after a week with a fresh perspective.)
oh my gosh - this is way too cool!!! I'm so jealous - how fun to wallpaper and paint? You rock. Go You.
Incredible!!! GO BEKA!!
Post a Comment