Monday, June 28, 2010

we grew a sunflower, completed a braid, built a house, and made spiderwebs.

This is the biggest sunflower we've ever grown. I wish we had a whole garden of them.


Lily is a hair sucker.
Oh how I wish she were a thumb sucker or even a paci child. Because when children chew their hair with the same mouth they chew their food with, well,  it's just nasty. Period. I've considered cutting it, but we've overcome a lot to get her to this point of hair growth, and I'm just not willing to give up on that yet. So we pull it back every day and that seems to help. On this particular day we braided it for the first time and even though it only lasted about 5 seconds, it was a significant moment of success for both of us. I actually took this picture so she could see what it looked like since she couldn't quite get the knack of looking through one mirror at another mirror.

I haven't posted much on the doll house progress and I sort of regret it because it has had many, many twists and turns. It's a thrilling saga. Here is the cliffs notes version.I had the basic shell of it built when I went to show it off to my dad. He GUSHED over it, showed it to everyone who happened by, and kept telling me how proud he was of me for doing it on my own and how good it was for my first project, etc...etc.... And finally, when I was feeling really full of myself and ready to slap some paint on and call it good, he said,
 "Now let's take it into the garage and make it square."

No joke. I love my dad.
He probably spent a good 6 hours at least taking it apart and re-cutting all of my jig cuts on the table saw, and now I can tell you it is unbelieveably and undeniably SQUARE! And I have learned the value of the table saw. And someday when I'm not terrified of it, I'll use it.
Jake has also done a TON on this house, not the least of which, the roof...
Isn't it awesome? I'll do the final reveal after Lily's birthday. It is everything I've ever wanted...er...I mean she's ever wanted in a dollhouse.

Finally, today we made spiderwebs with yarn. Because, let's face it. There's nothing like a nice tangle of yarn to brighten your day.
And that's our exciting life.

2 comments:

Megan said...

case in point of why my children would rather live at your house than mine.

Chrystal said...

Ha Ha Ha - your dad sounds like my mom's dad - - I love that G-pa! I can't wait for the reveal - I really am drooling in covetous awe at your ability to make big ideas and dreams come true! Man - someday maybe I'll take one of my dusty ones off the brain-shelf and tinker with them too!

Yarn - - we need to pull some out - - our cat would love it!

So can you think of any good excuses after the 4th of July (since we're staying here this year) that we could come to St. George for? I miss everyone but it seems summer is just really busy ya know? This is turning into an e-mail vs. a comment so I'll stop - but I love peeking into your life - you're some of our favorite peeps!