Monday, September 20, 2010

unfortunate knitting

As I am looking down the barrel of a very long plane ride in the next couple of weeks, I've been looking up some knitting patterns so my mind and hands can be occupied while I hurl through the air and over an ocean in a metal tube. I've found that knitting is the best way to keep my mind off of that situation, but, as I have said before, my spectrum for attractive knit-wear is actually quite narrow. I think a lot of knitted items look too "quirky crafty" for my taste. So it usually takes me a while before I find a project that really excites me and motivates me. It's a process that must be started at least 2 weeks in advance. In my searchings, I have come across a few great patterns, A LOT of mediocre (to me) patterns, and several that really earn the classification  "unfortunate".

I give you...Unfortunate Knitwear.

This looks like it was knit by a Crayola Crayon.


You know, this little girl is actually quite adorable, but I really don't like knitted fruits, sailboats, teddy bears, flowers, etc...(skulls and crossbones- O.K.) And she's holding that strawberry as if to say, "In case you haven't noticed, the theme is STRAWBERRIES". Totally lacking in metaphor.

Some mother about my age was feeling nostalgic when she knitted this little Rainbow Bright number for her TEENAGE DAUGHTER.


Unfortunate on many levels. But probably not in 1982. I think that might be Diane Chambers modelling.

Again with the flowers.


Again with the motifs. And if you were going to be that obvious with your sweater, why place your subject in front of a blue sky screen? Maybe she's just so happy the rain has stopped...


But it wasn't all bad...here is some knitting that made the first cut.

I thought for sure when I saw the name of this pattern (jazzy snazzy pants) that it would end up in the unfortunate pile, but when I saw it I actually thought it was quite adorable.


This bolero is SO hip and modern. I LOVE IT! I think it would look so cute on Lily.


I've had my eye on this circle jacket for a while, and I think it may be what actually makes the final cut. It really is a giant circle with a bulls eye in the back. I love the shape and originality of it, and it looks so good!



I still need to find something to knit for Alex, but I'm not that fast of a knitter, so I don't think I'll finish 2 things on the plane ride there and back, but it would give me something to go back and forth if I get bored. Anyway, let me know if you have any opinions on the matter.

Over and Out.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I totally love all three things you picked, but I think I like the bolero the best. So cute.

shaunita said...

I like all three as well, but my vote is for the circle jacket. I love circles.