Sunday, October 24, 2010

The year was 1985

It was a good year for The sequin glove, red high tops, and the Delorian. Ronald Reagan was in his prime, and we were "Just Saying No!" But the greatest thing to come out of 1985- well, friends, you're looking at it.



That's right, the Goalbots. My first (and last) soccer team. A friend of my mom's found this and was kind enough to send it on. I haven't seen it in YEARS, and my, oh my was I an awkward child. Sorry mom. But Andy was sure cute!

The most memorable part of being on this team was when my mom got Red Carded during a game for yelling at a ref. To be fair, he had it coming.

We loved our coaches, Peggy and Bob. I remember well how they worked with us and tried to help us do our best in a supportive way. I can still remember Peggy teaching us how to dribble the ball. I can only now appreciate how hard that was because I have done a little soccer coaching myself, and (ahem) it ain't easy. Especially when your children are on the team.

And especially when the team doesn't win a single game.

Or make a single goal all season.

GO GOALBOTS!!!

4 comments:

Megan said...

oh, it's brilliant! Why oh why did this not surface before our kids had already named their teams? I'm having a hard time figuring out which one you are!

Beka said...

Megan, I'm the boy with the curly hair on the left side.

celeste said...

Beka, you didn't have to mention the red card to the whole world. that is one of those family secrets which should remain secret!!

SarahCeleste said...

MOm, that was a secret??? That was one of my proudest moments!!! ha ha ha. I share that one every chance I get...Sorry to let the cat out of the bag but you were fiercely defending little Jeff's honor!!!