Saturday, February 7, 2009

31...and lovin every minute of it! (ok, George Kastanza, let's get on with it.)

Every year in the weeks that precede my birthday, I am asked by family members and well-wishers what I want for my birthday, and in the last 10 years or so, I honestly haven't known what to say to them. I don't know why this is...the anticipation just isn't there anymore.

However, every year on my birthday, I wake up absolutely full of inspiration. I can come up with 10 or 20 things that don't cost money and are truly thoughtful and show love and appreciation for the dear day of my birth, and, therefore, me. I purposefully stay in bed, for example. Only I don't wake up and say, "I'm staying in bed", I just assume it's implied. Sometimes it takes Jake a while to catch on, but the naked children and constant requests for food eventually "wake him up" to his sense of duty.

Also, I feel it reasonable, nay, deserving, to shoo people (Jake) off to do chores and odd jobs that I would normally do myself. In my mind I may think, "I'd better go progress the laundry...hang on...it's my birthday. I didn't even ask for anything. The least they(Jake) can do is fulfill that little chore."

And it's the same with trash, dishes, children, you name it.

After all, it's not like I asked for anything.

(the key is to mention this a lot.)

So this year, I am instigating a "birthday slave" policy. I figure it happens anyway, so I might as well make it a tradition. So on this, the anniversary of the beloved day of my birth, I will record all of the nice things people do for me that don't cost any money, in an effort to at least acknowledge the deeds so I can remember them for years to come. (And also as an act of establishing tradition.)

and I begin with this:



Lily pooped in the potty. Seriously, could I ask for anything better?

I took an extra long shower...just because.

Jake did the laundry for me

Alex gave me a birthday hug. (A really big one. It was nice:):))

Jake made the bed (though not without complaint. I did have to remind him what day it was.)

Grandma Bracken watched the kids while I went to lunch with Jake. (Though that wasn't all she gave me. Thanks Lynda!)

Jake took me to Pizza Factory even though he hates it.

Jake acted happy at Pizza Factory

Sarah watched the kids while we went shopping and out to dinner.

Jake sat in the store with me and watched me pick out and try on clothes.

Without complaint.

Seriously, where did I get this man? Extraordinary.

And a thousand other little, thoughtful things.

I don't know why we as women (probably just me, but it makes me feel better to delusionally believe I have company) have such a hard time asking for things and/or pampering ourselves a little. I always feel like if I want to do something just for me it has to be 100% justified. I think that's why I enjoyed today so much. It wasn't that I did anything spectacular, I just let other people...you know...serve me.

See, even now I can barely say it.

Happy Birthday to me! This is going to be the best year ever!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Your darn falutin' right! Happy Birthday to you girl.

SarahCeleste said...

I am late in reading this...but Love it...and maybe you should celebrate the ENTIRE month of your birth...you are that special!