Shucking chicken (is that what you call it?) and desperately trying to do so without actually being conscious of it. At one point my finger accidentally poked through the deepest underlying connective tissue and entered the cavity of the bird, and, no kidding, for 3 solid minutes I couldn't get the word cavity out of my head...as referring to the cavity created by the evisceration of a chicken. Where body organs once maintained life and digestion of grains took place. (I guess I could theoretically say where reproduction occurred, but I think that is being a little optimistic for chickens. )
Anyway, after I got over that I found this little note from my just-learning-to-read-and-write son.
He kept wanting me to read it as written, and if I didn't perform it to his standards, I was to read it again...and again, AND AGAIN! I can only imagine what my in-laws were thinking as they were listening to me from upstairs YELL this at their grandson. Luckily, they aren't the nosey type, or I'd have probably been aware of the fact that I'm surely out of the will. At least if they haven't told me about it I might still have hope of being in their good graces:)/
And finally
Floor coverings. First of all, let me say that this is typical of me, so don't think there is anything wrong, in particular. But at the 11th hour, I have decided to change my floor choice in my new house.
This is 7 inch Siberian oak. I LOVE the size of it, but it requires a bit of maintenance, as it is an oiled finish. I can do a varnish, though, but I haven't seen samples. Love love.



6 comments:
i'm a fan of wider planks. we have Kempas and i LOVE it, but it's only 4in wide...
I can understand the issue of maintenance. My wood floors would be totally safe if I didn't have my kids. (I'm figuring a sanding and refinishing will be in my future once the kids move past the age of gouging the floors with my replica Eiffle Tower.) All that being said, I LOVE wide plank. Mine's 5" but 7" would be awesome. I've noticed the shrinkage issue increases as the width increases. I stil LOVE LoVe, love, lOvE my hard wood floors! Go for the gold sweetie!
Hey, I saw your blog ( and your beautiful pictures) through Jenny Monson's blog. I have really enjoyed reading your blog, you make me actually laugh out loud.
Anyway, I read your latest post and asked my husband about it ( he is a hardwood flooring contractor here in St. George) and he said you CAN get Hickory in 7inch. He has installed Hickory up to 10 inches. Hopefully that helps you with your decision. If you have any questions you want to ask him, his name is Dave and his number is 703-0479
I love the look of the 7-inchers, but I would have to agree that anything that would require more maintainance out of me is just not going to be a good idea.
Ah crap, I can't see the second picture. I love wide plank, but I think also think 5'' is pretty wide.
I totally remember being where you are at. Agonizing over decisions. You really can't go wrong with either.
Is there going to be wood in your kitchen? What color are your cabinets? I'd LOVE to see more pictures of the house. Have fun!
I dream of someday transforming some of my flooring to wood. That chicken "shucking" brought back a painful memory of a Homecoming date at the Panda Garden when I ordered the duck. Bad decision. Very bad decision. I swear it still had its feet, though my date insisted it was just some cartilage. Anyway, your blog is a work of art.
Post a Comment