Friday, August 21, 2009

It's 6:30 but I'm putting her to bed


Not long ago she was eating leftover spaghetti at the kitchen table--underwearless, of course. An irritating, yet somewhat unavoidable side effect of potty training for her. One of those "lesser evils" situations. And while I do try to stress my "pants at the table" policy whenever possible, I know tonight in my mommy gut that it will lead to more friction than I'm willing to deal with.


She is 3, after all, and it's been a long week.

Alex's first full week of school, to be exact. Sure, it's not her first week of school, not yet anyway, but she's feeling the effects all the same by way of the mysterious, cosmic connection she shares with her brother. She's exhausted. She's irritable. But she's adjusting.


Tonight, however, when I saw the small mound of child curled up on the couch beneath her blanket, I knew there was no fight left. Normally I would push, prod, and coax her awake at this early hour, but I could tell she had surrendered, and surrender I must as well. She's had a busy day.


And she's only 3, after all.



2 comments:

Chrystal said...

Awww... bless her heart! She's so loveable and I feel for her! Hope the long sleep made the new day a little brighter! Another week or so and this new change will be 'old hat'!

Peg said...

beautiful pictures and observations, Beka. ..truly and purely beautiful.