Friday, November 16, 2007

worst nightmare

Today I was at the church with the kids helping to set up for an enrichment activity when suddenly I realized that Lily was gone. I immediately ran outside because the kitchen door was open and Alex was right there playing but Lily was nowhere to be found. Usually when I call her name she starts talking and wandering back toward me, but I couldn't hear anything this time. I sent Alex around one side of the church and I started running around the other toward Valley View Drive. The first thing I saw were cars stopped on that busy, busy road. Then I saw my neighbor who just happened to be right there jump out of her car and shout, "Lily!"
Just typing this sends me into panic and brings tears to my eyes. I just can't believe how bad it might have been.
A nice man got out of his car and carried her out of the street because at my fastest sprint I still couldn't get there fast enough. I honestly felt like I was running through water. I can not even express to you how frighteningly busy Valley View Drive is.
4 lanes.
So I grabbed Lily and held on to her as tight as I could trying to fight back the tears. This is something I always worry about with her because she is so fast and so curious. I was really trying to keep a good eye on her but it only took a milisecond.
I was so shaken by the time I got back to the building that I had to go into the bathroom and compose myself. Just the thought of what might have happened sends me into absolute panic.
Jan (the neighbor who stopped) said that 2 seconds after we got her out of the street a car came speeding up the road way too fast.
I am counting my many many blessings tonight.

3 comments:

shaunita said...

Aaaaaak! I'm so glad she is okay. It's amazing how fast little people can move. Thank goodness for guardian angels!!!

Jamie said...

I started crying just reading it! Yikes! I somehow felt that if I could just get my kids past the pregnancy stage, I could keep them safe forever. The more and more I live the more I realize it's just not true. If the Lord wants them back, he'll take them. Otherwise, he'll help keep them safe. Loves.

Megan said...

Oh my Beka, I am shaking just reading this. YOu must have been so terrified. I kNow that road! She must have something special to do on this earth! Give her lots of love from all of us. So so so so so glad that she is safe!