Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bedtime at Bracken's

Sort of like Weekend at Bernie's, only just slightly less entertaining due to the fact that everyone has a pulse.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Bedtimes are a tad stressful sometimes at our house, and when Jake's out of town it can sometimes be even more so. So tonight, with Jake on his way to Chicago, I just decided to kick back and go with the flow. We played a few games, read a few stories, put a big NIX on the TV, and I slowly put them down for bed. I couldn't believe what a difference it made to my sanity to not look at the clock and just let them naturally wind themselves down. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingAnd I can hear all you contenders for "Mother of the Year" saying, "duh, Beka. Haven't you read all those articles in Parent magazine about giving your children a bedtime routine they can count on so they know what to expect?"
But they have a routine. It just involves more threatening and menacing pointings of my finger than than any good mom would do.
This all reminds me of something Dan told me this weekend. Something about how men need to run (Or do some other form of physical exercise) in order to have an outlet for all of the destructive things they're hard-wired via testosterone to think about constantly. I thought about that as I got home to my messy house and sick kids. Normally I would be stressed and panicked that things weren't perfect. But, ladies, here's a secret...after 14 miles of running you don't care a flying flip about what your house looks like. And it's not just the physical exhaustion. It's like a literal chemical reaction in your body that makes you feel high.
For like, 2 days.
So just as working out makes men less barbaric, I believe it also abates a woman's unnecessary striving for perfection. At least that's been my experience.
Why all this? Because instead of stressing over the kids fighting and stalling tactics at bedtime, I really stopped for a second and decided to just enjoy them. And to take pictures.
Copious amounts of pictures.
I'm throwing in some pics from a few nights ago as well. Sometimes I can't resist getting out my camera even with the horrible light just because I love to capture all their little antics.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingd

Lily really wanted to wear these goggles to bed, and I was all, duuuude, whatevah. (remember...high)

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hostingge
ok, so when I walked in after getting my camera I found her laying right next to Pooh with their goggles on, but I couldn't get the pic fast enough, so I did what any self-respecting (if not mildly obsessed) photo-documenter would do...
I posed them after she fell asleep.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingt
What can I say. My kids are heavy sleepers.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingd
I know this post is a tad "Lily" heavy, but only because she still wants to wear goggles to bed. I seem to remember lots and lots of pictures of Alex running around on summer evenings wearing nothing but goggles. Some stages are just more photogenic than others, what can I say.
But he's still adorable, nonetheless.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Night, All!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I've been grouchier than usual lately. Maybe running 14 miles would help. (Maybe I'll start with 1.)

Katie said...

Boy can I relate! Sometimes it is so much easier to just let them go crazy until they collapse from exhastion. Cute pics!

Chrystal said...

That's the best -- love the goggles! Exercise is totally my 'drug of choice'! But I too could ENJOY them more. Good reminder Beka! You're awesome!

April said...

I love little ones in goggles. It's nerdy, yet sophisticated. Maybe I will try running 14 miles....after the temp drops below100 in daylight hours.