I just copied and pasted this from my running blog so it's in my journal...and for anyone who cares:)
Snow Canyon Half today! It was a beautiful run, but I don't think I was quite ready for it. Too soon since the marathon. And because of a shortage of volunteers they started 20 minutes late, so I was kind of stiff to start and it was SUCH a downhill that it about killed me!The rest of the run was great except for the out and back portion. That was nothing short of cruel and unusual. I find something fundimentally psychologically damaging about out and backs in general, but this one was especially brutal. After sailing downhill for 2 miles, we headed out onto a gravel trail that went back up the canyon for 2 miles, then we turned around and came back down that same trail. I don't know if they make prisoners do that sort of thing. Anyway, after that I found a groove that was sort of like meditation and that was cool. Because I usually run with someone, I don't get the chance to just zone out and relax into my run because I'm usually gabbing, but it was really cool. But for some reason, the last 3 about killed me off, not for any other reason than mental. I did the same thing at the end of the marathon, so I don't know what it is about the end of a race for me...I don't do this in training runs. But as the finish line gets closer, instead of getting the kick at the end from being about to finish, I want nothing more than to walk. I did that during the marathon, but I made myself push it at the half. But I know in a training run at the end of 13 miles I'd be coasting. So I don't know what that is. Anyway, it was a good experience. I'm taking a break from distance for a while (easier said than done), but this race showed me that my body needs it. I felt worse after this race than I did after the marathon, so I must not be 100% yet. I think I'll run Buster and maybe start biking or something, but I'll for sure keep running a little.
time: 1:56:35
pace: 8:57
2 comments:
I totally agree with you. That is a rough course and I hated it last year. That out and back on the dirt trail is brutual. I ended up deciding not to run. My body is just too hammered from this past year. I did 11 races in 2008 and all were under pressure to run good times and place well. I just couldnt bring myself to race yet! Great job though, it always shows what strides you come in becoming a better runner when you can recongize and are able to listen to your body and what it needs or doesnt need. You pushed through and hard race!
I am so glad to hear that the course was hard (not for your sake, just for mine). After reading about the course, I thought for sure it was the course for me, which made me even more bummed that I wasn't running. But every blog I read, makes me glad I didn't run.
You did AWESOME! Let's start taking spin classes...Oh, wait your moving:( you poopy head;)
Post a Comment