Sunday, February 10, 2008

kickin' it old skool in the GGG

That's Grocery-Go-Getter for all you homies out there...

I spent the weekend in Phoenix with my BFF April and my brother Mike and his wife Barbara, et.al. We had a great time down there. It neared 80 degrees both days we were there...perfect! And that thing I can't stop talking about? Oh, it's that the hotel messed up our reservation and so we got a totally nice suite for a totally nice price. I love it when stuff like that happens!

We all had so much fun. We made absolutely no plans, so we just let the kids jump on the trampoline and light-saber their little hearts out. It was exactly what we wanted... a nice, fun weekend for the kids.

The drive left a little to be desired, however, but we figure that just builds character. The worst part was that we forgot the hard drive with all of our movies on it so the kids were left with the Underdog movies we had in the car. Of course they could watch them for 9 hours straight and not bat an eye, but we were pretty sick of them long-about Flagstaff.

We figure we must know EXACTLY how the pioneers must have felt.

So on the way home we grabbed some Redbox movies for our own sanity. Aint technology great?

Here are some pictures in no particular order.

Lily is such a little ham. She was so funny on this trip. Here she is eating hamburgers at April's.







Rachael, Lincoln, and Lils



Here are the "guys" watching Star Wars on the computer. Don't you love how Matthew's hand is resting on Alex's shoulder? So cute!






April's Tommy and Meg jumping on the trampoline with Lily

It's not very often you get my full braces...feast your eyes.

My Alex



Oddly enough (and yet fittingly) this is the only shot I got of April. Sorry, Ape, I'll get you next time:)

Alex playing firefighter at a children's museum in Mesa

At the museum they were having a Jim Hensen exhibit which was really cool. I would have loved to have seen more of it, but we lost Alex while we were there. He ran back to the art museum to play firefighter some more. It freaked me out because he's not one to run off. Hopefully this doesn't become a new phase...
Aaaaanyway, they had a place for kids to do a puppet show.





But as fun as the trip was, the real adventure started on the day we came home. Alex woke up really sick with a cold and didn't want to get out of bed. When we got him in the car he said he hurt too bad to sit up, so he laid down in the back the whole way home...poor kid. (don't call child services, I swear ALL our parents used to do it:) So then, as we were crossing the Hoover Dam Lily got car sick and threw up about 3 courses. When we got out to survey the damage and I realized that my cleaning arsenal was limited to baby wipes, we ended up throwing away all of the clothes she was wearing AND her carseat. Yes, it was that bad. So we put her in Alex's carseat, which doesn't have a harness because he uses the seatbelt. Well she got out of that in about 2 seconds, so I sat in the back and held her; which I think is probably a little like trying to contain a tornado in a 7-passenger mini-van. She kept going back to where Alex was laying and pulling his hair. I'd say "be nice" and she'd say, "ya, I nice." Ya right.
Anyway. We're home and this is how Alex looks...
Poor guy.
It's good to be home.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh...your trip sounded like a ton of fun until the Hoover Dam bit. It cracks me up that you just threw the carseat away. Maxine got food poisoning on the way to Europe and was throwing up the whole first day. Aren't road trips with kids fun??

Megan said...

poor kids! I'm glad you had fun on your weekend, though, so it wasn't a total headache! At least you'll always have fond memories of Hoover Dam...

SarahCeleste said...

I love the picture of the cousins (the boys b&W) LOVE IT! I also love the picture of you...so lovely!

SarahCeleste said...

Just wondering if I could say love one more time...

Amanda said...

Cool that you got to see April. I think she needs a blog :)

Amy Hummel said...

Yeah... I would have thrown the car seat away too!