Tuesday, February 19, 2008

our new wide screen television



And Noggin's got nothin' on this channel...

Some birds have been building a nest in our backyard, which is something I've never watched before. We spent most of the morning outside watching while one bird protectively sat on the eggs while the other would go and painstakingly test each and every twig for softness and other nest-like qualities and take it up to add it to the nest. It's so interesting to me to watch them focus so intently on the task at hand. Very maternal, if you ask me. It reminds me of my friend who has been remodeling her house in her third trimester of pregnancy.


In fact I'm thinking of naming the female Amy Hummel.





After a while I went back out to see what they were doing and I noticed that no one was on the nest! I'm a little worried that they realized that having their home so close to ours was driving down their property values significantly and so they, therefore, left to find other real estate. But I really hope not. I really want to hear the little baby chirping in a few weeks!
And just in case you were wondering if I had no life...confirmed. I don't.

3 comments:

SarahCeleste said...

That is really cool...reminds me of Peggy Sanders...Love it! She would always notice things in nature and create lessons for whoever was around...Truly a gift

Amy Hummel said...

That's awesome. I have never watched a bird build a nest either (well, other than on the Discovery channel or somewhere like that). It was funny to see you mention me, LOL! I've definitely been "nesting" in my 37th week (and way prior). But just a little left to do. Some paint here, some paint there... and we're done!!!

Now if I could just find a blastid shower curtain that I liked!!!

I'm actually thinking of making my own now...

Megan said...

hehehe! nesting...that's good...