My sweet Lily. 19 months old and growing up so fast.
You have been really learning your words this month...thanks in no small part to your older brother who is such a good little teacher--even when he has his own agenda. This month you have learned "hair", mostly referring to mine which is still one of your dearest comfort objects. You've also learned, "water", "snow", "wee (winnie) the Pooh", and my personal favorite so far, "what's that?" because it shows off that adorable little emerging sense of wonder and curiosity that you have.
You've really been pushing your limits this month. Actually, you've always pushed your limits, but as you become more independent it just gets that much more interesting. And as much as possible I let you do your own thing. It really helps the overall harmony of our home if I pick my battles with you.


You have been really learning your words this month...thanks in no small part to your older brother who is such a good little teacher--even when he has his own agenda. This month you have learned "hair", mostly referring to mine which is still one of your dearest comfort objects. You've also learned, "water", "snow", "wee (winnie) the Pooh", and my personal favorite so far, "what's that?" because it shows off that adorable little emerging sense of wonder and curiosity that you have.I've also noticed a lot more babbling out of you since our new-found resolve to turn off the T.V.
After Alex had his tonsils out and was laid-up for two weeks not feeling like doing ANYTHING but watch TV, we finally decided to make it an earned privilage only. It was one of the best parenting decisions I've ever made.I've noticed, among other things, great developmental change in you in the few short weeks that we've had it off.
Sure, it could be coincidence, but I kind of doubt it. As much as I tried to keep you away from the TV while Alex was recovering, I couldn't keep you away completely. And those first few days after it was off you did a lot of pointing to the TV and grunting. But once you got over it you were suddenly asking for water by saying water instead of mumbling and pointing to the cups. When I would say "no" to you for doing something you shouldn't you would look at me, turn your palms up and ask, "why?" (ya, that could be a whole other blog).
It's like the TV isn't doing your thinking for you anymore (sorry Noggin, your indoctrination days are over).
You've really been pushing your limits this month. Actually, you've always pushed your limits, but as you become more independent it just gets that much more interesting. And as much as possible I let you do your own thing. It really helps the overall harmony of our home if I pick my battles with you. For example, if you want to pull out your pigtails the minute after I painstakingly put them in, that's fine.

You want to bang on pot lids?

You betcha.
You want to eat your cereal with a whisk?
You have my blessing.
But certain things that you love to do (like playing in the toilet and picking around in the garbage) are just simply off-limits, and that's been hard for you to grasp when you just know there's a magic treasure down there just waiting to be found.
You are a girl who is marching to her very own drummer. I can't wait to find out what your passions and interests will be. While you love to follow Alex and
friends around, you definately have your own interests. I hope you always remember that it's OK to be a little different from the crowd. It's important to have your own interests and talents...even if they seem a little different. I think that talents are one thing we will not find in short supply with you, little Lil'. I love to see the wonder and spark of discovery in your eyes. And in being yourself you will find that people will be drawn to you and want to know what makes you "tick".
You are a girl who is marching to her very own drummer. I can't wait to find out what your passions and interests will be. While you love to follow Alex andfriends around, you definately have your own interests. I hope you always remember that it's OK to be a little different from the crowd. It's important to have your own interests and talents...even if they seem a little different. I think that talents are one thing we will not find in short supply with you, little Lil'. I love to see the wonder and spark of discovery in your eyes. And in being yourself you will find that people will be drawn to you and want to know what makes you "tick".
And then when you find yourself alone sometimes, that will be OK too, because being alone with a mind like yours will never be boring. 

I have to add that this month the whole superhero thing has had me in stitches. When you wore Batman to storytime at the library I loved to just sit back and listen to everyone say how cute you were. And, of course, you had no clue that they were talking about you. You were just doing your thing, as always.
The other thing that has amazed me lately is this hero-worship you have developed 
It is the most adorable thing to watch you two bond and have fun together. Of course you have your less-than adorable moments as well, but I can tell you guys really love each other. This is one of the most i
mportant relationships you'll ever have in your life, and I hope you'll always love and respect each other. You will learn so many valuable lessons together and share many "firsts." You two are connected in a very real way.
mportant relationships you'll ever have in your life, and I hope you'll always love and respect each other. You will learn so many valuable lessons together and share many "firsts." You two are connected in a very real way.
I love you Lily, and I can't wait to see what this month brings.



4 comments:
OK, those last two pictures had me in tears! And I can't wait until Katy can wear converse...I will have to buy her some...Lily in her dress with her CHuck Taylor's...loved it!
That last picture is so cute. I like your TV plan. I've been thinking about doing that lately too. I swear the kids want it on all the time. What do your kids have to do to earn TV privileges?
The main thing is that ALL toys have to be put away and they have to have either clothes or jammies on...depending on the time of day. And then they have to do something above and beyond..like wipe down the table or something. Basically the house has to be clean and they have to help. The great thing is that usually by the time they've done their chores they've moved on to something else and have forgotten about the TV.
I don't remind them.
I was so touched by this blog of lil! Great photographs and your writing was so sweet, you really touched the Essense of Lily. Well Done Beka! The picture of her in the swing made me giggle out loud. I love that face of pure joy. Thanks for these gems.
Post a Comment