So Wednesday before last I was running with my neighbor Jan when I casually mentioned that Jake was going to Alaska the next Sunday. Well, long story short, after a few "you should go!"s and some minor twistings of my arm, before I knew it Jan was watching the kids and I was taking off on a plane to go fishing in Alaska. First of all, I have to say that I have the best neighbor on the planet. She is so amazing and my kids were so well taken care of--it's just not normal for a person to get as lucky as I am and have neighbors like I have.
OK, so, Alaska. It ROCKED! I am not one who enjoys small planes or boats on the ocean, but even with all of that it was a great time! Here is a pictorial accounting:
Halibut fishing. I'm told everyone must do this one time at least. I will do it one time in total. Catching the fish was fun, but a small boat out on the ocean is not. LOTS of people were sick, and I was very queasy. You couldn't pay me to do it again, but here are some pictures proving my bravery and heroism for doing it...once.
This is the cute side of the fish...

They told us that catching these fish was exactly like pulling a tire off the bottom of the ocean. That was pretty close to the truth...only I might say wet mattress...king sized. This is not a very big halibut and I caught another one about the same size, but Jake had to help me pull them both up. There was no way I could have done it on my own.
Here are some other random pictures taken to help keep my mind off the fact that Brett was barfing over the side of the boat.






After fishing in the ocean we traveled be very small aircraft to a lodge to go fishing in the river. I loved it here. It was so relaxing and fun! We were catching several 10 pound salmon each day, and when we got sick of that we read books or slept or just hung out with whomever else was done fishing that day.



This is what Jake looked like after a week in the woods.

This is a moose.



















It was a very fun trip, and so out of the norm for Jake and me which made it even more fun. I was the only girl on the trip and that added a little extra excitement. Especially after I overheard our guide reveal how long it's been since he's seen a woman. That was...uncomfortable. But at least I felt safe surrounded by the 22 men in our group. Bottom line...I would go again in a heartbeat, but I'd leave the deap sea fishing to the stomachs of steal. Brett and I will wait on shore.
5 comments:
I was eating breakfast while I was reading this and I have to say that I was getting a little queasy looking at all the dead fish. What did you guys do with all that fish??? On the other hand, when I saw the guy cleaning the halibut, all I could think was, "Sushi......." yum. I can't believe how cold it looked in Alaska when it was 108 degrees here! Sounds like so much fun!!
:jealous:
...and you are going to have such a hard time leaving your neighborhood, because like you said... you have awesome neighbors!
By the way... This is Amy. I didn't realize that Jared was logged on.
I think that kind of fishing is called poaching and is illegal and many parts of the world. But, apparently not in Alaska..may they rest in peace. Looks like so much fun, (for you, not the fish). i was getting a little worried about where you were. Call me when your kids get all caught up on mommy attention.
WOW~ What an adventure! It looks gorgeous there! Such cool memories!
Post a Comment