Thursday, September 18, 2008

month 26

Or: everything is cuter in a tutu...

The other day we took your picture.

You haven't been one for wanting your picture taken lately, mostly because I've been trying to get a somewhat reasonable 2 year old portrait, and that requires at least a little bit of looking at the camera, and maybe even a cute face, but I've tried not to be picky. And asking you to hold still and look at me must be something like being asked to stand in line at the DMV, because there are WAY more things you'd rather do.


But, unless I'm wrong here, I think that's what being two is all about. It's not like I let you eat pop corn and ice cream for breakfast; hitting your brother and beating up on his friends is out (not that your couldn't send them home to momma); and walking around on the table WHERE WE EAT OUR FOOD is still out of the question, so you have to exert your independence somehow. But I try to be optimistic about the whole thing. In fact, I think having a 2 year old is like having a life coach.

No, really. you never let me take anything too seriously,
you force me to stop what I'm doing and be thankful for my blessings, And you grow up so fast that I can't help but reflect on how fleeting life is.And it won't be long before you're all grown up. You give me just enough attitude to practice my patience (and I'm still working on it),And you make me remember what it's like to be a kid. You remind me that no matter how dressed up I get, I always have to make room to be me, And you've taught me that beauty is way more than skin deep. I'm amazed every day at how beautiful you are--and, yes, you are gorgeous on the outside, but it's what's inside you that makes you really shine. And we can dress you up and curl your hair and make you a "pretty princess", but it doesn't hold a candle to the soul I see growing before my very eyes.

And so my motherly advice to you today comes by way of a quote that I wish I could reference, but can't for the life of me. It's this:

"The greatest thing to look for in a dress...

Is the girl inside it. "

And you are pretty great.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Beka, that is so priceless. Those pictures are all so cute. I love the view of the back of her feet on the swing.

Jamie said...

Were you hanging from the top of the swings to get those overhead shots?? They look amazing! There some really great ones! Congrats!

Memorie said...

Beka,
The pictures of course are devastatingly smashing, but mostly I love the sweet loving words to your daughter. It made my heart swell to hear you accept and appreciate your daughter for who she is and for who she can become...the message that her beautiful soul is the very most important! I see my son in a moment of time and..."my cup runneth over"

Anonymous said...

Wow, when are you going to start publishing stuff? You ARE so amazing in your writing and your photography. Love it ALL, and ALL the time.

SarahCeleste said...

PUBLISH THIS

April said...

so I have a question for you...email me! hola.april@gmail.com

Chrystal said...

Priceless!!

McKinna said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pics!! You are soooo good! I just came across your blog... I've just started one and am working on it. I'll add ya! ;)

Megan said...

you know I love these pictures of Lilypants. She's gorgeous, and I love the last few lines...