This was a GORGEOUS run! 20 miles from Veyo to Ivins through old highway 91. The whole time the photographer in me was screaming, PERFECT LIGHT! PERFECT COMPOSITION! WHERE IS MY CAMERA?? One of the things I love about running is that I'm able to look around a little and notice the beauty that I might miss in a car. This is one of the most enjoyable things about running to me.
So in case you're wondering, no, I didn't lug my SLR with me on a 20 mile run, I had to settle for taking a little drive the next evening to try and capture what I saw that morning. The evening light doesn't do the morning light justice here, but I wanted pictures. And not just for the beauty of it. I really want to remember this run. I know that might seem crazy, considering I was definitely spent at the end. (That's putting it gently.) Maybe it's for the same reason that we can't take our eyes off of a train wreck or a burning building. Perhaps a better parallel would be women recounting harrowing childbirth stories again and again, and we psychologically feel better with each telling. Who knows. But for whatever reason, I keep replaying it over and over in my mind. The wonderful feeling of striding out over the road, as well as the last few hills when I felt like there was no way (walking or running) that I was going to carry my body any longer.
So here are some pictures for my own psychological well-being. I came, I saw, I conquered. And for the same reason that women keep having children, I want to still do the marathon. Or perhaps it's in the same way that a drug addict begs for more drugs, my ravaged body still screams for more. I don't know. I guess I can't explain it. Good times.
I took Alex with me on my little drive:
He's sitting near the start of the race...about 1 mile or so in. We had some great conversations on this trip. At one point he said,
Alex also asked once if we were going to Subway. When I told him no, he asked if we would be foraging. I guess he'll make a good scout.


This is what the last 1.5 looked to me. I can't tell you how intimidating that hill looked after 18.5 miles. And the whole course was like this...hill after hill after bloody, freaking hill. Love it. Hate it. I don't know, I'm conflicted.
Alex got a little "sea sick" as he put it, so we stopped at a park so he could get some fresh air. Here are some random shots I took:


This was a really fun trial run for the marathon. And the hills made it a great training course. I am encouraged by my time, even though I think I would have been faster on the marathon course. I think my training has gone pretty well overall, but there are definitely things I would do differently. I would have followed a little stricter training regime and monitored my diet a little better to optimize my runs. But this has always just been for fun, and I have had the best time training. I really look forward to my runs, and I love the girls I run with. (and the boy...hi dan.)
I can't wait for October 4th!
9 comments:
I actually collected prickly pears this year with the ambition to make jelly. I boiled them and thought the juice was not so great, so I dumped the whole thing. Seems like such a waste because Jacky fell into some cactus and got a handful of teensy spines. Oh well.
I meant to congratulate you on the 20 miles as well. Not just ramble on about cactus. So wahoo!! 20 miles is a long way! *yawn* Makes me feel tired just thinking about it.
I cant wait either! You are going to LOVE it, I promise. When you cross that finish line it will be a feeling you will never ever forget!
You inspire me I am going to do this next year and so are you...I know you say you won't do it again...but you will and I am betting on it. Love you
You are a MANIAC! And I was getting seasick too. But those were beautiful pictures! Good luck with that marathon thing. I hope that works out for you....
you go girl! I know that road well...and it is beautiful...though I don't think I'd want to run it.
you rock!!
Gorgeous pictures! I love to excercise kinda like the way you describe running - maybe I should try it...Good luck October 4th...ENJOY! I'm so excited for you!
Alex,
You look so happy jumping off the wall!
Lincoln
Post a Comment