"With all of our digital tricks and tools, I can't help but wonder if our idealism isn't sneaking in to tinker a bit, much like a writer using her words to defend herself, her point-of-view or position rather than lay herself bare."
Having said this, I totally believe there is the time and place for a beautiful, touched up, well thought out portait. As a matter of fact, I'm working on some today. But by far my favorite shots are taken in between shots when no one thinks I'm watching--when the lighting is what it is, and when all barriers are dropped and the real individual emerges.
Anyway, this is just something I'm musing about, and that I was so thrilled to see someone touch on today. Are we truly leaving our posterity a record (written and photographic) of our true selves? Is it not the messiness and genuine truth of our lives that it truly beautiful and worthwhile?
Just a thought.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
keepin it real
I am so in love with this article today...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks for this Beka! I often am so judgemental about my paintings and worry about all the errors and things I see as flaws. But trully if I let go of that judgement I am painting truth..even if its flawed. I am certainly full of them. The goal is to love as is. I certainly love your photos
So I have to say part of me totally agrees with you, and the (bigger) vain part of me is begging you to take a picture of me and "touch it up". PS The kids and I are coming thru there next week on our way home. We should get together and catch up. :)
That last comment was NOT me begging for free picture taking, it was me asking to visit with my cousin.
That is so true! Although, you can touch up all the pictures of me all you want. ;)
Post a Comment