My mom has never been a runner. That's why this is so amazing!
Sarah was kind enough to take pictures of us...here is the start. We weren't at the front, in case you were trying to find us.
We're not in here either, but Sarah was taking a bunch of shots just in case. See anyone you know? Me either.
Which is why it was so odd that it started feeling like we'd gone a little too far to turn around and come back and have it be 3 miles, but whatever, we just kept following the crowd.
Every 5 minutes or so we'd look up and see my dad pulled over to the side of the road to steal a picture of us. Mike and Barbara did a drive-by shout and wave--it was quite an event, people.
When we finally turned onto the trail (surely on our way back), I started to think about where the trail branches off to take us back to the finish line, but as hard as I thought about it, I couldn't figure out how. But I hadn't been on that trail for a while so maybe they put in a new trail somewhere...I didn't know, I just kept following the crowd.
As the trail wound itself around (so that we were now going in the opposite direction of the finish line) we saw our first mile marker.
Mile 4.
Evidently we started with the 1/2 marathon.
With this realization, I began to wonder if Mom would finish. She did, after all, go a lot farther than she had bargained for already. When my dad offered to take her home she said, "NO! I'm CROSSING THAT FINISH LINE!" Gotta love her.
So we continued on, taking a few discreet little short cuts along the way, and grumbling about how "after 27 years you'd THINK they'd be a little more organized", but at the same time realizing that we were probably the only ones who had made that mistake, so the blame, most likely, rested squarely upon our sweaty, heaving shoulders. Because there was no way at this point that we could meet up with the 5k runners who were by now on a completely different course altogether.
But really, we were laughing and making fun of ourselves, and wondering how we would look, me and my mom--her in her Mayor's walk t-shirt (Lean, green walking machine:))--crossing the finish line with all of those really fast runners, and getting actually a pretty respectable half marathon time.
Hard core for sure.
6 comments:
Woops! Sounds like you still had a good time and that's what counts!!
Love it!
Your mom looks AMAZING! Way to go Celeste!
way to go mom indeed! Good for both of you. She probably thought you did it on purpose! hehehe. We saw her at the store the other day and when I said HI, Seth asked me who she was. I tried to think of what would make the most sense to him, and I said, "That's Alex's Grandma" and then looked at her and I said, "That's the only thing that means anything to him..." And she replied, "It's the only thing that means anything to me, either." It was sweet!
Who wants to be in the front anyways. The back is always better. All those girls camp hikes always better in the back. Back of the bus..better, back of the class..better. I'm usually in the back so I've just decided it's better. I love that you ran with your mom. I the race we saw you at my dad was entered in as 1/2 marathon and we ran the 5k. So it was his best time ever for a 1/2 marathon too. I think that might be saying something about St Georges organization ability.
Beka, Please give your mom a huge huge from me. I am so proud of her! Thanks for the update!
Crazy! That's awesome though! Congrats to you both.
Post a Comment