Friday, May 23, 2008

a day in the life

Jake was supposed to be home tonight.

As he got in the car to drive home from California he called me to let me know he was leaving. 30 minutes later he called again to tell me he'd gone a total of 5 miles. Thank you Memorial Day traffic from Newport to Las Vegas, from the most sarcastic depths of our hearts! I just feel so bad for the poor guy. That was 4 hours ago and he just called me to say he's 1 1/2 hours away from State Line where he has a hotel room. Sheesh!

So, anyway, with the kids in bed and no one to talk to, I thought I would talk to you, Internet. Yes, I could do laundry. Yes I could pick up the house, do a few dishes, wash the car, organize my various what-nots...but then what would I have to do tomorrow? So, here we are.

The last couple of days I've been playing with my camera--messing with settings, angles, and lighting--and I wound up with a montage of pictures that kind of showcase bits and pieces of my life. So, to satisfy the latent scrapbooker in me, I thought I would post them just because I sort of use this as a journal, and one of my children might read this someday, and I believe it's very important to document laundry.

That's right. Laundry and yarn. Very important.

Because we wouldn't want our posterity thinking we just sat around blogging all day--what kind of example would that set? So feel free to stick around if you wish. There will be no Photoshopping, adjusting or tweaking. Just SOOC shots, because there are a lot and I am lazy.

WAIT, posterity...I didn't mean that...I mean, I have more important things to do tonight than spend hours on the computer. More industrious and productive things--like, like, you know...things.

I know it's hard to look at, but I'm just trying to be as authentic as I can. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...laundry. (It's clean.)
Just playing with some lighting...here's some yarn.
Still there? OK, posterity, this is for you. This is my bread rising...That's right. I made bread.
This is an original "Alex" piece that has been in the works for a couple of days.
Hang on...Lily's up. Better Getter.
When I followed the magic toilet paper trail it led me right to Her Majesty and her royal throne.
The sunset last night was so beautiful. Out my backdoor...This is a rock. Yes. I bet you think I posed it. In fact, I didn't. I found it just like this on my bed. I'm thinking someone thought it was special, and I'm placing my bets on Lily. See how it's out of focus? I am telling you through desperately clenched teeth that I don't care.
A dress I made and was in the process of finishing for Lily. I've beet so inspired by Sugar City Journal these days.
Time for a snack.
Found this little guy in my lawn today. I know I should fix the white balance here, but I'm just trying to keep it simple. If I get around to it someday I'll play with some of these shots.
I love this picture! Lily is such a dare-devil, and Alex barely wants to be nudged. It's a perfect representation of them.But he doesn't mind doing the pushing...
Lily loves to give me little treasures.
Alex and I made sand balls.See Lily way down there playing soccer? The sky was so brooding and beautiful and hard to expose for. I might try tweaking this one later. It has potential.
Alex wasted me at Chutes and Ladders today. Like, seriously without me letting him win. In fact, at the end I was trying to cheat; you know, climb up a couple of slides or whatever...still didn't win. That kid's getting good...

I guess it's not a full day since there were no meals or errands or fighting over toys. Really more of a cross section, if you will. I don't know why I've been on this kick lately; I guess I just want my kids to remember some things about their childhood that they wouldn't otherwise.

Life is pretty good for them if I do say so myself.

Maybe too good...

3 comments:

April said...

I love that dress! The sugarcity girls blow me away, I'm so glad you love them.

Megan said...

So, my favorites are the ligthing in the yarn one, and the one of lily by the toilet. Gotta love those moments! Sorry about Jake not getting home!

Chrystal said...

this post made me wish we lived by you guys - - It's a Beautiful Life!