Sunday, May 11, 2008

happy mother's day

I don't expect much today.

I'm still going to change diapers. I'm still going to make meals. I'm still going to iron church clothes. (despite Saturday being a special day...I still didn't quite get ready for Sunday. Someday I'll learn) I'm still going to wrestle my kids through church. I'm still going to search for the missing shoe. I'm still going to be the entertainment committee for my kids. I'm still going to kiss every owie, play a card game with Alex, and put Lily down for a nap. I'm not going to put my feet up, get a pedicure, or have time to cast on something and knit all day.

But today I will feel incredibly grateful to be the mom who is able to keep her kids clean, fed, and clothed. I feel thankful to belong to a church where I can bring my kids and I don't feel judged but their shenanigans. I'm grateful that my kids have shoes to wear, games to play and naps to take. I'm thankful I have feet to walk, hobbies I love, and children I can kiss.

And when I whisper in my sleeping husband's ear,

"french toast, please."

He'll roll out of bed and make them.

And if I asked, he would do it tomorrow too. And every day after that.

So, today will probably be just like every other day.

And for that I am truly blessed.

4 comments:

SarahCeleste said...

That is so beautiful, you are such a wonderful mother and trully blessed! Have a wonderful day, see ya later!

Jamie said...

That was nice Beka. French toast would've been nice but Merril got me a motorcycle stand, sentimental fool.

jeny said...

I was feeling the same way as I was doing laundry, making beds, changing diapers, etc. etc. But boy did I feel SUPER greatful when I arrived at church to hear the praises I knew all along.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

April said...

You are seriously a poetic writer. You should write a book...about me...now that's a good idea. "Memoirs of an American Girl...Part 2". I have been missing you lately. Happy Mother''s Day!