Tuesday, May 13, 2008

house worker

When Alex came home from preschool last Thursday he beamed as he handed me the obligatory "made at school" mother's day card full of pictures he drew and lists of fill in the blank questions he'd answered. (What color is my hair, what's my favorite food, etc...) One of them was simply,

She is_____.

Now, I could imagine Alex filling in that blank any number of ways:

Addicted to sugar, perhaps?

Never around when I need her to beat up my friends?

Obsessive about my personal hygiene to the point that she actually requires me to bathe at least twice a week?

In love with the computer? (hopefully not)

No, his answer was "house worker". And I get that in this day and age of empowered women and misguided claims of chauvinism, I could be outraged. But I can't even express how happy it made me, because it means I'm at home. I'm around. And the way he perceives it, I don't sit around all day wasting time...I work. (I'm really glad he didn't say "house lazy" or "not sure".)

Anyway, I remember giving those things to my mom and thinking that her pleasure at receiving them was totally an act, but now I know it wasn't. I was genuinely giddy when he handed it to me. He's the best little boy.

And Just as a side note:

Have you ever scrubbed mercilessly at spaghetti sauce on your kitchen table and not even be able to recall the last time your family ate spaghetti?

Not that I have. I'm just asking.

3 comments:

SarahCeleste said...

Those are the best...In Kindergarten Olivia wrote a "book" as an assignment, on her mom, and all the things I help her with. One page she said "she helps me clean my room" The picture was of me sitting on her bed, her picking up the room and a little bubble above my head saying "clean your room." Apparently I am the house "lazy" ha ha ha

April said...

my mom always reminds me that when I made that same card for her, I filled in the blank with "she is... useful" She really wasn't too excited about that!

Amy Hummel said...

Jocelyn made me a necklace, and I've worn it for 3 days straight! Doesn't that just scream "proud mom?"

And your side note reminded me of myself yesterday. As you know, our travertine floor hides basically everything. Yesterday I decided to mop under the table because it was disgustingly gross under there! I had a bottle of bleach/water solution and sprayed it down before mopping to disinfect really well. Then I noticed that everywhere milk had been spilt (and dried) turned white after I sprayed it! You should have seen me, acting like little miss CSI spraying my bottle of "solution" all over the kitchen floor! It was amazing (and gross) to see how many places actually turned white!