I'm not saying it very well, all I can say is if you've had a baby or run a marathon, you understand.
And so, I tell my story for anyone who wants to know it.
First of all it was wet. Wet wet wet. And cold. Hypothermic, even. I thought we'd all surely have pneumonia the next week.
I just have to start out that way so you appreciate the sacrifice I made for you all to be able to write such a compelling account.
We were lucky enough to stay at Jake's cousin Windy's the night before the marathon. She has an amazing home about 1/2 mile from the start line, so we got to sleep in a little (if you can call what we did sleep...we were all so nervous we just tossed and turned all night). But it felt like a sleepover with the girls I was with. We've spent so much time together training and being neighbors, that we've gotten to know each other like sisters. I seriously love those women!
So, after a fitful night's sleep, we got up, ate breakfast, went to the bathroom 12 times, and then realized it was raining. So Windy gave us some garbage bags to wear over our running clothes. Of course we didn't want to just hang out in the rain, so we waited as long as possible to get to the start line. So late in fact, that after Windy dropped us off we almost got run over by the wheelchair racers who started 5 minutes before us! So Jeny and I, who didn't have time to wait in line at the porta-pottys, squatted down with our garbage bags over us and relieved ourselves right in between 2 guys doing the same thing. (There is no dignity at a marathon...see, just like childbirth!) But it's all good. So when we heard the gun go off, we weren't technically in line so we just jumped in and started. It was so fun at first because I felt like a kid running in the rain, but I knew that if it kept up it would get old fast. I just tried to enjoy it as long as I could.
Honestly, I don't remember the first 7 miles--they were just fun. The only thing that sticks out is that because we were running in front of Jan and 10-year-old Mishayla, we kept hearing EVERY 2 SECONDS, "oh, how old are you! That's great! Don't beat me too badly!" because Mishayla looked so little out there drowning in her garbage bag. I'm not kidding when I say everyone was asking her. I kind of felt bad for her because I was sure that would get old.
Moving on to mile 8 and the Veyo hill...
Yah, I ran it.
But that's when I got passed by the 4 hour pacer, and I kind of knew at that point that my goal of breaking 4 was not going to happen. I hate that it happened so early in the race, but honestly, when I woke up and saw the rain I knew it was going to be tough, and my goal became finishing no matter what time.
So then I ran for a while.
About mile 13 I broke out the snickers marathon bar I brought along for sustenance, and almost broke my braces trying to eat it.(Didn't realize I got "crispy" and not "chewy"). But that almost didn't matter because my fingers were so frozen that I might as well have been a corpse trying to rip open the package. But, when I did manage to get some in me (by letting it slowly dissolve in my cheek) it turned out to be just the thing I needed. I felt really good for another 4 miles or so.
I started needing longer walking breaks at the aid stations at about mile 16 and took advantage of the icy hot on my left calf, which was starting to bother me. I still felt pretty good, but I found it hard to run in that large of a group. When I run by myself, I have an inner drive that pushes me along, but in a group, I feel a little bogged down by the crowds, and that combined with the weather, which was still soggy, left me in some doldrums around mile 17. Winchester hill was challenging. I ran up half of it, but only because there was a photographer under the bridge, and I'm not going to lie to you, I didn't want him to photograph me walking...I'm just sort of vain like that. I didn't really snap out of my "downer" until I saw mile 20. For some reason knowing I'd done 20 miles was a boost...I knew I was almost there.
This is where I started my little prepared countdown. For every mile I focused on something different, whether it was all my training that was paying off, or pulling inner strength from experiences from my past, or thinking of my personal heroes, that got me through the next 5k. Then I lost a little steam. And right on 300west before turning onto tabernacle, the 4:30 pacer passed me. DOH! And then 3 guys passed me while congratulating themselves on running an entire marathon without training. DOUBLE DOH! I stayed at a pretty consistent shuffle until I spotted the finish line, and that lit the fire under me. I started passing people right and left. Luckily, all of my friends and family were at the finish line and not a couple blocks back, so they all saw me finish strong...

It was such an emotional journey. I'll never ever forget it. And if I ever have the opportunity to train for and run it again, I'll do it in a heartbeat. There were moments I just didn't want to keep going, but somehow I did, and there is nothing like seeing that finish line.Thank you Jan, Mishayla, Jeny, and your supportive husbands and dads. You were the best running team ever!
Thank you Mom, Lynda, and Ron for watching the kids...not just during the marathon, but all the time.
And thank you Craig and Windy for letting us stay in the most strategic location available for the St. George marathon!

You all are my heroes!

Thank you Jake for supporting me and taking care of the kids while I trained. I love you forever!
11 comments:
Congrats again! GREAT pics!
You are awesome! Congratulations on your first marathon.
Great job Beka! You are amazing.
i've already said my "i love you"s and "you are so awesome". but i still have to stop and remind myself....WE DID THIS, BABY!!!!!
Awesome Awesome Awesome. Congrats, and it is so true about wanting to tell your story over and over, it totally is worth telling over and over, so don't make people read your blog, tell them in person. Great time, greta accomplishment, you go girl!!
Thanks for posting such a detailed account of your marathon. I really wondered what must go on in the minds of people who run them...and now I know. And now that I know I am even more sure that I will never run a marathon! Great job! It really is a huge accomplishment. Maybe the bishop should have all of you talk one sunday about it...I am sure you learned a lot having "ran (not walked) through the valley of death".
that's so awesome! Literally, I am in awe! Can't imagine how that must have felt! You go girl! Now...for your second marathon...it's called kids in a long car trip, then another long car trip, Disneyland, Sea World, and another long car trip? Will you survive this one?
You are insane! I'm sure you were ready to hit the wall so many times... but it sounds like it was a breeze for you! I could never do something like that. Physically I think my body could handle it. And I'm actually a really good long distance runner. The track coach in high school bugged me constantly to be on the team. But I lack the mental motivation to accomplish something like that!
Thank you Jake for the pictures! They were fun to see. Congrats again, and GET SOME REST!
HOORAY!! That's so awesome..so great! What a wonderful experience and memory - I wanna do it someday for sure! Thanks for the inspiration! You are AWESOME!
Seriously, way. to. go.
You are so awesome girl. I love those "coming from behind" stories about gutting it out and accomplishing your dreams. I am almost in tears here right now. You are very awesome!
MY HERO!!!! I am so proud of you! I hope one day to be as cool as you! Love the pics and the story...all you lady's who ran and the young lady so so inspirational!
Post a Comment