Sunday, April 13, 2008

weekend

Dave came to visit from Portland this weekend, which is always fun, and we got to go golfing at Sand Hollow. Dave has been golfing for a while now, but despite being raised on a golf course I have never picked up a set of clubs. So this is a pictorial accounting of how my first golfing experience went down.

Here's Dave:
And here's me--so happy to be there:
she swings, aaaaaaand misses: I'm happy to report that I thoroughly "broke in" the golf course Friday. Yep, it's nice and broken. But you wanna know what?
It was fun. And we got the golf cart stuck in the sand. That was pretty fun too. You haven't lived until you've "wheeled" in a golf cart. It's exhilarating.
Saturday was a big day...Olivia's first race! We've been gearing up for this for a while, and she did great! Here we are with Mishayla and Corby who ran the race with us:

At the starting line:



Oh, I'm so ready:




Ready, set...





GO!






Here's our cheering section. My mom and my cousin, Lisa:







Mr. GQ himself. Oh, and my brother, Dave.
Mishayla kicking trash:
Corby not far behind: And in case you're wondering, this is me eating Olivia's dust:
After the race: Dave:
Me and my girl. She seriously rocks:
Ok, and then the freakiest thing! I've totally had my California friends on my mind lately this last week (as per my previous post), and while I was running I saw this guy I kind of recognized as being the dad of one of my friends from there, and then I saw the back of the head of the girl running with him, and I thought, you know, I'm just going to yell her name, and guess what...I did, and I wasn't even embarrassed because it WAS HER! This is Lindsay Able. I so love this girl! I felt like I was talking 100 mph because I was so excited to see her. Turns out she was with her dad and her mom, so my parents were super excited to catch up too. I just love these people. Lindsay and her dad are running the St. George marathon, so they have to come here and run a couple of races to qualify. So they flew here, ran the 5k, and flew home. She lives in San Fransisco and walks dogs. And makes enough to live in San Fransisco. And is visiting her 7th continent next year. I asked if I could move in and live a little of her life with her and she just laughed.
I think she thought I was kidding.
Hmmm, I guess she'll figure it out when I show up at her door with all my stuff.
Here's a bunch of us:


And apparently whatever I'm saying here is so touching it's making Lindsay cry:
Here's Bonnie with my parents. I love this picture because Dave's face is all, "hi, my name is BORED".Anyway, it was a really fun weekend. It was so great hanging out with my brother and watching Olivia finish her first race, and to see Lindsay on top of that was total icing on the cake.
How much are tickets to San Fran these days?

6 comments:

April said...

OK, that is EXACTLY how I play golf too!!! I seriously am crappy at it. I swing. I miss. Embarrassing. I'm glad someone else is in the same boat.
Cute race pics! I always want to take my camera along but I never have pockets big enough in my spandex pants... and none of our friends will wake up early enough on a sat to take pics of us!!

Chrystal said...

What a cool post! I laughed out loud about the picture where you're pouring out your soul and Lindsay is "crying" - - it really looked like it! You're so fun! Thanks for sharing!

SarahCeleste said...

What a great day! next time I will not be the photographer, I will be a participant. That was so fun!

Megan said...

rock on! The picture of you at the start of the race, with your hands in the air...I laughed so hard! Love it. how fun about your friend!

Amy Hummel said...

I too laughed my bottom off at this post. You're so much fun Beka!

Jamie said...

That's totally how I play golf. My whole family plays and I never picked it up because I didn't need the aggrevation! BTW, you're my hero! Go runner!