Who's up for a challenge?
OK, pardon my little side commentary, but does this rock not look like it's trying to get home to the bark after a long journey on the cement? Is it just me?



I defy you to find a park without at least one Ritz cracker left on a bench. 
This is one of my absolute favorites. I love the contrast of the glass against the bark. Again, I don't think I ever would have thought to take a picture of garbage, but when pressed to find that 5th picture, sometimes you get a gem. At least to me.
This is a really fun one.
As part of a little photography class I've been taking at the college we were asked to stand in one place and take 5 different pictures. We could turn around and bend down, but we had to stay in that same place. The idea is to look at pieces of the whole.
This was by far my favorite assignment because I always thought I was pretty good at noticing the small things...but I had no idea what I'd been missing. I found that I truly couldn't stop at 5. There was always a pice of bark or a rock or something that from just the right angle made an interesting picture.
So here are some of my favorites. I chose to make most of them B&W just because it was so much more about the values than the color...at least to me.
OK, pardon my little side commentary, but does this rock not look like it's trying to get home to the bark after a long journey on the cement? Is it just me?



I defy you to find a park without at least one Ritz cracker left on a bench. 
This is one of my absolute favorites. I love the contrast of the glass against the bark. Again, I don't think I ever would have thought to take a picture of garbage, but when pressed to find that 5th picture, sometimes you get a gem. At least to me.

Another cement journey.

And I think this is my very favorite of all. Love how the sky adds movement to the picture even thought my shutter speed was pretty fast.
So you can tell I had fun, right?
Anyway, I know not everyone would consider these pictures "art", but the purpose of the exercise is to see the world in a new way and to notice things you might have missed before. It is really very fun...and you might surprise yourself and come up with some shots you really love.
So, I send out my magic challenge dust to all who read...or however that works.
I'd love to see what you come up with.
8 comments:
Hi - I'm a mini blog stalker of your...I'm a friend of Jamie's. I've been enjoying your pictures and I am REALLY impressed with this series!
I am 'taken away' by your photography...keep the journeys coming!
Oh, I'm so envious of you and the college class. I've always wanted to take the photography classes at the college. That and throwing clay pots. How fun! Keep it up.
Nicely done Beck! I wish I could take the classes with you. Are you guys doing any work in the dark room or is that far too old skool?
Dude.... I'm soooo jealous that you're taking a photography class! I've wanted to do that forever!!! It's just a little... ummm... how do you say... difficult right now...
Please please please keep showing us all you learn!
Oh. One more thing. Are you shooting in B&W or are you converting?
Amy, you could totally take this class. For one thing, it's just a community course...4 weeks, one night per week. AND it was only like 38 bucks (plus whatever I've spent on new equipment...tee hee:)but seriously, not even THAT much on new equipment.) It was a totaly last minute thing...I signed up the day before the class started.
I've been shooting in color and converting, even though my teacher says it is technically better to shoot in B&W if you want B&W. I'm just not experienced enough yet with my own style to know whether I want a picture B&W or color. Mostly, though, it's pure laziness.
Anyway, I hope you do this exercise and post your shots. I really want to see the creative pictures everyone comes up with. It is so much fun!
I'm definitely going to do it... Just probably not for a few days! Loved your shots though.
Post a Comment