Wednesday, December 5, 2007

month 17

Just thinking about the fact that you are 17 months old makes me want to cry. Where did my baby go? I can't even pick one specific milestone for you this month...you are just older in every way. You've definitely got your walking-and running legs on you now. Oh yes, we know that all too well after you tried to go hitchhiking on the busiest road in our neighborhood. The fact that I am not on some kind of mood-stabilizer from that little incident is a testament to my emotional well-being.

The thing is, Alex was never much or a limit-pusher. Oh, I thought he was before you came along, but deep down I always knew he was a rule-keeper. And I know I really shouldn't compare you two--especially because you are like apples and oranges; no, you're not even both food--it's just that I feel like sometimes I am so far outside the range of my parenting abilities...

But I guess that's the point. The truth is I love a good challenge; especially when it's adorable, smart as a whip, and endlessly entertaining.


Despite that, or possibly even because of it, you are the funnest little kid to watch and play with. You learn so fast it blows my mind. You absolutely love to play with Alex and his friends. In fact, Carter gets a way better reception than I ever get--even after I've been gone overnight.

Basically, if the big kids are doing it, you want to do it too...

You love to put on Alex's shoes--especially his cowboy boots--and clomp around the house like you're this big giant cowgirl. You're all into climbing up the step-stool in Alex's bathroom and brushing your teeth. You wear these adorable pigtails, and you say bye bye and blow real kisses.


You also wait until I'm in the bathroom or doing something that requires my full attention and climb up onto the kitchen table and wait for me to turn around so you can look at me with that grin that says, "lookie lookie, I'm on the table-ha ha!"



Another thing you have come to love is coloring. Coloring on paper, on the walls, on the table...pretty much anywhere. I love to watch you color--all the while babbling and singing your little songs while you scribble away. I know that in your head you are creating another world full of all the things your brilliant mind can conjure up.
I really wish you could tell me all about it.

2 comments:

SarahCeleste said...

That last picture is you all the way! Exactly how I remember you as a child. I love those pics.

Amy Hummel said...

That last picture is so darling! Great catch mom!!!

_____________________________
http://amyhummel.typepad.com