Thursday, March 27, 2008

gettin' skooled

I took this picture last January because I wanted to capture my kids playing underneath that really cool sky, but it was tricky to expose for. Either I caught the dramatic sky and you couldn't see the kids, or else I got the kids under a boring white sky. Now who wants to see that? Come on!


So the Pioneer Woman came through for me yet again! I just love that I can follow her instructions and they work! And I won't even have to see my therapist this week...for this!

OK, I've heard you can do this, but I never knew how until now. I layered the two photos together, (one straight out of the camera, and one in which I had bumped up the exposure in RAW), added a layer mask, painted over what I din' want dark, and tadah!




Do you see it? It's right there...the illusion of good photography right before your very eyes!


Seriously it's so easy. But I swear when I look at that screen in Photoshop with all the brushes and palates and filters and blending tools and other doo-hickies and I am just ready to throw in the towel. But stuff like this excites me.


If you are interested, The Pioneer Woman's instructions are here.


I love you, Internet!


Oh yes, and children, I love you too. Even more than the internet.

5 comments:

SarahCeleste said...

That is bad to the bone! I love it. I need to learn how to do that. I have decided that Pioneer woman is a new hero. She is living the life.

jeny said...

Yea..whatever you said. It looks really cool!!!

Marie said...

you rock beka! i wish that i lived by you so that you could learn photoshop and then teach me everything you know about it. it would be awesome...like high school all over again.

ok, never mind. i don't ever want to go back there!

Amanda said...

I love PW, been a fan for a while now. I think I love the fact that she can burp just like me :)

Your photography skill are awesome. I hope someday I will get my greedy little hands and photoshop so I can hang with the cool girls.

April said...

ok, that is beautiful! I am always too scared to use photoshop. I figured out the eraser once for a bathtub pic but my hubby made me take it off the blog... anyway, I just edit all my photos in iphoto. One of these days I am totally going to take a photoshop class and an illustrator class. I love that pioneer woman does those tutorials though - I'll have to mess around with them one of these days! And actions totally totally impress me. I love Jinky's.